Imagine yourself driving down the street and making money with every mile.
Sounds crazy, right?
Well it’s not.
According to Big Picture Graphics, a staggering 95% of Americans are reached by media targeting vehicle drivers and passengers.
This opens a door for you: companies pay you to advertise on your car, turning your daily commutes into a steady income stream.
Table of Contents
So What is Car Advertising?
Getting paid to advertise on your car is a pretty easy side hustle. You simply turn your vehicle into a moving billboard for a brand or a company. Here’s how it typically works, in 5 steps:
- Partner with an Advertising Company: You first have to sign up with a company that specializes in car advertising. These companies are essentially middlemen. Their job is to connect advertisers with car owners willing to display ads.
- Vehicle Requirements: Normally, you can’t just advertise on any car. No company wants their image on a piece of junk car. There are usually certain requirements such as age, condition, or even make and model.
- Advertisement Types: Advertisements can be small decals or even full vehicle wraps. The difference is that full wraps cover a significant portion or the entirety of your car’s exterior while decals might be limited to windows or doors.
- Eligibility and Screening: You’ll normally have to pass a screening process including a background check, driving history review, and vehicle inspection.
- Payment: You get paid depending on the size of the ad, the length of the campaign, and how much you drive. Some companies pay a flat monthly fee while others track your mileage or routes and pay you accordingly.
How Much Can You Earn?
Before we look at the process in depth, let’s look at how much you can earn.
You can expect to earn anywhere from $150 to $450 per month depending on a bunch of different factors, including:
- the company you contract with
- how long you have the advertisement on your car
- the type of advertisement
- they type of car you are driving
Advertising on Your Car: Is It Worth It?
Let’s look at the pros and cons:
|Passive Income: You earn money simply by driving your car as you normally would.
|Commitment: Required to keep the advertisement for a set duration, potentially long.
|Flexibility: No need to alter driving habits or routes.
|Vehicle Requirements: Specific requirements for type and condition of vehicle.
|Potential for Additional Benefits: Perks like free or discounted services.
|Aesthetics and Privacy Concerns: Large ads can alter car appearance and attract attention.
|Easy to Start: Simple sign-up and vehicle inspection process.
|Scams: Risk of encountering scams; important to work with reputable companies.
|Contribution to Marketing: Helping brands and businesses gain visibility.
|Restrictions and Regulations: Strict rules about driving amount and vehicle types.
|No Major Impact on Car Performance: Wraps are generally safe and don’t affect performance.
|Limited Availability: Not all areas have opportunities; some campaigns are location-specific.
So is it worth it?
Yes. I think it is. Especially if you don’t mind having your car wrapped.
At an average of an extra $300 a month, you can then take that money and either pay some bills or put it towards other investments to make even more money.
Companies Looking to Hire You
There are a ton of different companies looking to hire people to advertise. Here are five of them you should look at if you’re interested in pursuing this side hustle opportunity.
#1 – Wrapify
Wrapify is one of the most popular companies in this industry.
One of the reasons is that the company makes it super easy for potential drivers to get started.
- ✅ The first step is to download the Wrapify app and sign up to be a driver.
- ✅ The next step is to finalize your profile and complete the onboarding process.
- ✅ The final step is to sign up for campaigns when they show up in the app (these are usually based on your location).
How much money can you make?
According to Wrapify, with a 360 degree wrap, you can earn between $264 and $452 per month. With a 270 degree wrap, you can make between $196 and $280 per month. And with a 180 degree wrap, you’re looking at somewhere between $181 and $280 per month.
Here’s more information from Wrapify on getting started.
#2 – Carvertise
Carvertise is another major player in the car advertising space.
One of the major differences between Carvertise and companies like Wrapify is that you get paid by campaign, as opposed to getting paid per month.
So for example, you might have a 3-month campaign that pays $1200 total, instead of paying per month.
The process for getting started is similar to Wrapify:
- ✅ Sign up online at Carvertise’s website.
- ✅ Wait to receive a match from a brand that is interested in your specific driving habits.
- ✅ Get paid directly through direct deposit.
How much money can you make?
According to Carvertise, you can earn anywhere between $450 – $1,500 per campaign.
For more information, check out Carvertise’s website for drivers.
#3 – Nickelytics
Based out of Tampa, Florida, Nickelytics is another ad agency that uses vehicles to advertise for their clients.
Nickelytics is best for rideshare and delivery drivers; however, if you drive at least 30 miles a day, you’ll be eligible to sign up. To get started:
- ✅ Download the Nickelytics app and sign up.
- ✅ Activate app while driving so that the app can record your driving habits and mileage to better match you with advertisers.
- ✅ Get your car wrapped and start driving.
How much money can you make?
According to Nickelytics, you can make anywhere between $175 and $250 per campaign.
Check out the Nickelytics website for more information.
#4 – Stickr
Stickr doesn’t do car wraps.
Instead, the company pays for drivers to put decals on their car windows.
These decals are completely see through (from the driver’s perspective). They are the same thing that you local city bus uses on their windows.
Obviously, because of that, Stickr doesn’t pay out as much as some of the other companies on this list; however, the process is a ton easier and is something you can do yourself.
They also pay out in gift cards as well as cash.
Here’s how to get started:
- ✅ Go through an easy sign-up sequency on the website.
- ✅ Pay a $10 per month membership fee.
- ✅ Get paid in cash or gift cards each month.
Personally, I don’t like the idea of having to pay $10 per month without knowing if there are actually opportunities in my area. But I guess $10 isn’t too bad to try it out. If it doesn’t work, you’re only out that money before cancelling.
Still, I like the fact that other companies on this list DON’T ask for a membership fee.
For more information, check out the Stickr website.
#5 – Firefly
Firefly is a relatively new company working in the “ads on vehicles” space.
But instead of using decals or wraps, Firefly uses digital billboards that are placed on top of your car.
Unfortunately, Firefly is only in a handful of locations, including the following:
Atlanta | Austin | Boston | Chicago | Dallas | Houston | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | Miami | New Orleans | New York | Philadelphia | Phoenix | San Francisco | Toronto | Washington D.C. DMA
The process is similar to the other companies:
- ✅ Sign up online on the Firefly website.
- ✅ Have the billboard installed on your vehicle (takes about an hour).
- ✅ Get paid each month.
For more information, you can easily check out the Firefly website.
While car advertising isn’t going to make you a millionaire, if you’re already driving around every day, wrapping your car could be a great way to make an extra couple hundred dollars every month.
If you’re interested, check out each of these companies and see which one best fits your driving style.
In the end, an extra $200 or $300 per month can be an easy way to pay your cell phone bill, some groceries, or even can be used to invest in other ways to make money.
FAQ: Make Money Advertising on Your Car
How much can you get paid to advertise on your car?
You can make anywhere between $150 and $500 per month. This depends on a lot of different factors like the company you use, the type of driving you do, and the type of advertising you have on your car.
Which companies pay the most to advertise on your car?
The following companies have good reviews for paying their drivers: Wrapify, Carvertise, Nickelytics, Stickr, and Firefly.
Do companies really pay you to advertise on your car?
It might seem like a scam but it’s not. You can always see other cars on the road with these advertisements so you know that they’re getting paid. It might as well be you.